Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Art of Living

Unbelievably, it has been eight weeks since I have written a word, which feels disappointing in some ways. As a person inextricably tied to the changing of seasons, inevitably, I become less "visible" and more burrowed during the fall and winter. But honestly, I feel as if I have been living more artistically in the past few months than at any other time in recent memory. In my absence from the page I have been cooking and traveling and taking hundreds of photographs. Put simply, I have, gone to seed in the past few months. But, I am back....at least for today. What follows is a wordy, somewhat disjointed, collection of thoughts....so consider yourself forewarned.

When I lived in Chapel Hill many years ago there was a home furnishings/art notions store in University Square called T'boli, where one of my most beloved friends worked. It was a quirky, peaceful space with an amalgamation of postcards and pillows and toys that delighted me. At the time my life was tumultuous and intense and beautiful and complicated. It was populated by smart-assed waiters who are now credit union managers, dark brooding musicians who are now laughing parents, grad students who became professors and me. I was emotionally ambitious but seemingly aimless. Wandering day-to-day accumulating life experiences and embezzling personality traits from my compatriots.

One winter afternoon while browsing at T'boli,  I bought a series of handmade, watercolor cards. One of them was a panel with a glitterly silver moon and the phrase, "My barn having burned to the ground, I can now see the moon." Another showed a circle of brightly dressed children dancing, with the phrase, "I am an Artist of Living."  Throughout the cycles of my life and evolving incarnations, through multiple moves, innumerable storage buildings and infinite trips to Goodwill, those two cards have survived internment and remain relevant. And so, while I have not been writing of late, I have been baking casseroles and exploring historic cities and capturing these experiences on "film". I have been an Artist of Living.

If you read this blog in its' infancy, then you know that it was largely inspired by my friend, David C. Smith. My love for him is boundless and his influence on my life has been profound. In addition to being an accomplished writer, David is also an incredibly gifted photograper. The veracity of his words made me want to live more honestly in print. And now, the allure of his images has altered the way I see every aspect of the world around me. The juxtaposition of architecture and nature...the adjacent duality of history and progress...the exquisite beauty present in "flaws" and irreverence. Of course, all this inspiration has also caused me to want new, more expensive camera equipment and cost me irretrievable hours spent moodling. But, I am feeling fulfilled and nourished and awash with gratitude.

So, today, as always, thanks for listening. How you live your life and share your experiences, matters. Your choices and interactions influence and inform others in unimaginable, often unintended ways. The mere act of Being Present is dynamic and rebellious. Occupy Your Own Life.

3 comments:

  1. Good thoughts for a chilly autumn morning. Oh how I loved T'Boli! I spent hours there perusing the quirky and profound items. I also loved the store at the other end of U Square that had more chidren's items. Can't remember the name-- can you? Did it have "moon" in the name?

    By the way-- we need to get together soon-- just us two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are equally gifted with the pen as you are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remembered the name of the store! I know you haven't been able to sleep for wondering! Whistlestop!

    ReplyDelete